Pachelbel organized a concert of vocal and instrumental music in Charleston to celebrate St. Cecilia, patroness of musicians.
Charles Theodore Pachelbel (baptized Karl Theodorus) arrived in Charlestown, April 1736. Born in Germany in 1690, he was the son of the famous Johann Pachelbel, composer of the popular Canon in D. Pachelbel initially migrated to Providence, Rhode Island to install an organ in Trinity Church in 1733. Three years later he arrived in Charlestown and lived here until his death.
1737 – Death.
Lt. Governor (and acting governor) Thomas Broughton died. William Bull, as President of the Council, assumed the role of Lt. Governor.
Thomas Broughton was probably born in England; in about 1683 he married Anne Johnson, whose father Nathaniel Johnson would become governor (1703) of South Carolina. By the mid-1690s Broughton and his wife had come to South Carolina from the West Indies. Thomas Broughton was an Indian trader, and served in the Commons House of Assembly. He was also appointed to the Grand Council in 1705, as deputy to proprietor John Carteret. When Governor Edward Tynte died in June 1710, Robert Gibbes cheated Thomas Broughton out of the interim governorship. Broughton and his armed supporters marched on Charleston in protest, but were unsuccessful. Gibbes retained the position.
In 1731, Thomas Broughton was named South Carolina’s first lieutenant governor. He became acting governor when his brother-in-law, governor Robert Johnson, died in May 1735. Broughton died in office November 22, 1737. William Bull succeeded him as lieutenant governor and acting governor.
St. Cecilia Society was established to provide musical entertainment. Their annual ball, held on November 22, became the leading social event in South Carolina.
Some claim that 1762 was the founding year, but first newspaper notices about its activities appear in 1766. The destruction of its early record due to the 1861 fire, has lead to detailed research about the Society’s founding.
All of the issues regarding ownership of the Fort Sumter were cleared up as the Federal Government was granted title to 125 acres of harbor “land” recorded in the office of the Secretary of State of South Carolina.